Wednesday 30 May 2012

25 May 2012 - Cape Gooseberries

The work for the day was to prepare the area for the Cape Gooseberries that have been growing nicely on the windowsill at home, since picking them up from the seed swap a few months ago.  They now have 6 leaves, so I think it's time for them to face the world!

Sounds simple, doesn't it.... dig over a bit of mud, put in 6 plants...


You can just see the Redcurrant bush opposite the compost bin - well, it's that area I was working on.
 
The area I chose was the end of one of the new beds, by what we were told was a gooseberry (smothered in grass).  The bed ended up being a lot bigger than it looked, because the whole end was smothered, so there was a lot of hard work digging and trying to get out as much of the roots as possible.  It took 3 hours, but I think it was worth it.
and she's found the self timer







30 May update - The seedlings are still doing well  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the Cape Gooseberries grew for you :) I have one left from last year which I brought in for the winter in a pot - the others died outside even though the winter was mild. The one that I still have is going to be replanted into a much larger pot next week so I can bring it back under cover in the winter this year!

    ReplyDelete