Saturday 25 February 2012

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

Well here's another first attempt at an Alison Holst recipe from my book that's decades old....do I have to warn you, or you just understand that I probably haven't followed it properly and what I used is in brackets again....
T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup


1kg potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
2T butter, 1/2 c grated cheese, Milk - for mashing potatoes
1/2c grated cheese - for topping the mash

1c kidney beans (1/3 each of black turtle beans, marrowfat peas and Pinto beans)
2 large onions, chopped
1 red or green pepper, chopped (orange)
3T wholemeal flour
1t vegetable boillion (bay syrup)
1t dried basil (2t mixed herbs)
1t dried oregano (none)
1t paprika (are they trying to kill me!)
2T parsley (1 T feverfew - I'm new to this herb)
1t dark soy sauce (balsamic vinegar)
1.5c bean cooking stock
2T tomato paste

Because I forgot to soak the beans overnight, I fast soaked them, which means I brought them to the boil for 2 minutes, then let them stand for a couple of hours.  Keep 1.5 cups which will be the cooking stock (above).  I've kept the rest to use in other recipes that need a stock.

Next time, I'll soak them overnight. 

  
check out the colours!
Cook the onions in butter until golden brown, stir in the pepper, then the flour.  Stir over a moderate heat until the four has browned slight then add the boullion, herbs and soy sauce.  Stir in the bean stock and tomatoe paste.  Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.  Add the beans, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.



Put the mixture into an oven friendly pan and cover with mashed potato then sprinkle with cheese.

Cook in the oven at 180c (160c for fan oven) for 20-30 minutes, brown the cheese under the grill (if you want).

Serve with green veges if you like, and maybe a glass of wine or beer. (honest, the recipe said that!)

1 comment:

  1. would recommend the soaking overnight option for the beans - just put in 3x volume of water and leave in the fridge overnight. 1/3cup of beans makes 1 cup cooked beans.

    ReplyDelete